Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Photos and Foreigners

i found some writing i did last year when we were dating and i was still in school. remember i took all those photos of you in black and white photography???


Well. I just found this. This is what i read to the class when i presented all my photos of you. I think you should read it. I don't know if I ever showed you this?


it's called "why andrei"

In his 21 years of life, he's probably experienced more, fortunate and unfortunate, than the average, middle-of-the-road American.

"To everyone else, I'm just a foreigner," he said to me one day.

And it seemed to be true.

I see it happen. The way people marvel over his accent, ask him if Russians really love Vodka, and look at him as a fixture

of entertainment. They ask, "where are you from?" "why are you here?" "how long will you stay?"

The questions pile up. It seems to be first nature to wonder about why, what and where then actually wonder about who

this person might be.

But none of this ever occurred to me ... he fascinated me first with his similarities to myself, and after, I began to learn and grow from him.

Not wondering about his differences of linguistics, ideas, and emotion but finding that i prefer them.

He was something complex and sad and odd and understated and honest. He was something like me. And so, "the kid from Russia," who hasn't seen his parents in two years,

who has nothing truly familiar here, who learns something new everyday is the subject of my photos.

And in these photos, he is still himself, but he's not from anywhere, he's from everywhere. The photos represents emotions instead of numbers and figures.

They represent sensation instead of conscise meaning. They represent the real emotions we all teach ourselves not to let out for other's to be a part of.

He represents unintentional bravary, complicated inner dynamics and even the reckless beauty I see within him.

This is Andrei. These are my photos.


He is my muse, and it is my hope that not everyone has to go goes through as many douchebags (or bitches) as I had to in order to find the person who inspires

them enough to be able to take 10 presentable photos in 30 minutes after you (being the dumbass you are) exposed the whole roll of film you were going to

use for your last photo assignment of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does it move you / soothe you / lose you? Lemme know.